October 24, 2013

Donut Party


As promised, we rang in the Veganette's third year with towers of hot donuts enjoyed in the roof's morning sun. Hooray! One pal made some awesome Apple Cider Donuts using a recipe from The Sweet Life, a fabulous vegan blog stuffed with delicious recipes to satisfy your sweetest tooth. I fried up some Pumpkin Spice Donuts from my favorite recipe (originally published last October on Earth Eats) which I'll post again here for your use!  Chilling the dough is quite important, so be sure to allow for at least an hour of resting time.

2 Tbs. ground flaxseed mixed with 6 Tbs. hot water 
1/2 cup almond or soy milk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
4 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup sugar
4 Tbs. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla

In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed meal and hot water. In another small bowl, mix together the almond milk and vinegar. Set these aside.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices). In another bowl whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix in the almond milk and flaxseed mixtures. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Once ingredients are combined, transfer the bowl to the fridge for one hour. 

Roll the dough onto a floured countertop. You want the dough to be about 1/2 inch thick. Using a round cutter or a wide-mouth mason jar lid, cut the dough into circles. Use a bottlecap to punch the centers out. In a large, high-walled pot, heat 5 inches of canola oil to 375 degrees. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the oil's temperature, making sure to keep the oil between 370 and 380 degrees. Prepare a cooling rack by placing a rack over a baking tray. Carefully drop the donuts into the oil and watch them rise to the surface. Flip once, then transfer to the the rack to cool. Coat with cinnamon sugar and serve warm!


For these plain glazed sprinkle donuts, I used a recipe from Vegan Yum Yum and replaced flaxseed meal and hot water for the egg replacer. I had to use a bit more flour as well since I do not have a donut pan and these went in the hot oil. But fried food is good for you, right? Oy! I'll leave that up to you to decide, but trust that this funky plate of confetti joy did not go to waste.


To fall!
NRG

2 comments:

  1. Hey Natalie! Are these 'yeast' donuts or 'cake' donuts? That is one of the distinctions, right? I have had a lot of good vegan donuts, but until recently they've been cake donuts (which is fine, those are my fav). But this new vegan bakery opened up in T-dot, and they got AMAZING 'yeast' donuts, including boston creams. Vegan heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan! These are cake donuts. I've actually never made yeast donuts but I'm sure they would be delicious! I wish I lived closer to you so I could try these boston cream donuts- my mouth is watering just reading about them! This recipe looks legit- http://spiceislandvegan.blogspot.com/2013/03/vegan-yeast-doughnuts.html try it and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete