September 27, 2012

BKJLG & Deconstructed Sushi


At a bright, fall wedding I recently attended in St. Cloud, Minnesota, a number of  new friends asked me how I managed to survive living in New York. I didn't really know how to respond and found myself shrugging over my handfuls of popcorn and peanuts, trying to mention a few convincing arguments on how any big place can feel small and any small place can feel big. It is easy to feel disconnected and lost in big cities. I feel very fortunate to be a part of a small huddled community here in Brooklyn. Among these very good people are BKLG and JLG. These dudes are true creative forces in their hood, stitching up anything the mind can imagine, twiddling with synthesizer levels, sprouting all things sproutable, saving stuff, being nice,  teasing big time, and rolling with some serious steez. Oh and did I mention that they are some of the best vegan chefs around?


Every week I play music with JLG and we all three share delicious magic from this green pot in their hot and steamy CH apartment. Pictured above- deconstructed sushi. To make deconstructed sushi, make sushi rice in a big pot. Season with rice vinegar mixture (dissolve 3 Tbs. sugar and 1 tsp. salt in 1/2 cup rice vinegar and pour over cooked sushi rice). Serve with nori, avocado, cucumber, kimchi, and whatever else your heart craves.


Oh- and if you happen to be in New York, you can meet these folks tomorrow night at our first music show in the East Village (well, first as just JLG and NRG). BKLG will be the best dressed and will tell jokes, JLG will strum and yodel, and I will shake shakers nervously while looking at the ceiling. Sidewalk Cafe, 10PM sharp.

NRG

No comments:

Post a Comment