May 5, 2014

Vegan Crepes with Lemon Rhubarb Sauce


After a month of work travel, I am at last re-situated in my sweet and tiny sun-blessed apartment in Brooklyn. What a privilege it is to have a kitchen again and to muddle around it aimlessly for hours, rubbing fresh herbs, smashing garlic cloves, and filling press upon press of coffee. Spring's first crops are some of my favorites and on Saturday, the coop was overflowing with asparagus spears, sweet peas, and spicy radish. These slender ruby stalks of rhubarb poked out of my backpack as I rode down 6th Avenue, groggy in the morning sun. If you're up for something other than a delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, try this sweet saucey filling for crepes or pour it over a stack of pancakes.

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups fresh rhubarb (chopped)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
dash cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon

In a medium saucepan, heat the water and brown sugar to a boil. Add the rhubarb, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and stir. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, or until the rhubarb has softened. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. 

Yours under a 3 foot tulip,
NRG



2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious- thank you! My mom has tons of rhubarb in her garden right now- guess I'll be taking some back to Brooklyn with me next week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back dear veganette!! you've been sorely missed!

    ReplyDelete