November 3, 2014

Fresh Cashew Mozzarella!


One month after receiving my copy of Miyoko Schinner's book, Artisan Vegan Cheese, I have finally begun my forays into the mystical world of nut cheeses. Giving up cheese was the hardest part of going vegan for me. I loved the smell and taste of pungent, aged cheeses and the beauty of a well-rounded, fruit-and-jam-loaded, olive-garnished cheese plate. I discovered Dr. Cow's nut cheese a few years ago and since that time, have spent hundreds of dollars on their delicious product (I kid you not!). In a dual effort to minimize my food budget and to learn new tricks, I've started to make my own!

This buffalo mozzarella was incredible! The cheese has a near-perfect consistency and only takes a few days to make, as the bacteria is cultured from pre-made vegan yogurt (I used plain coconut). I enjoyed this cheese on many caprese salads and sandwiches this weekend, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and EVOO and sprinkled with Himalayan pink salt and fresh pepper. I know it's the end of the season for caprese, but there are still some good tomatoes out there! Enjoy them while you can.

You can find Miyoko's recipe here on her blog- http://www.artisanveganlife.com/a-better-buffalo-mozzarella.

To a cheesy life!
NRG


No comments:

Post a Comment