November 17, 2014

Harvest Plate


Last weekend I winterized my rooftop garden and harvested the last of this summer's magic. What a delight and joy the garden was! I've learned a lot about container gardening, plantings, watering schedules, and soil needs- I can't wait till next spring to plant a new crop of veggies and flowers.  My summer meals could be characterized by the photo above, which was just developed with a batch of other surprises. The garden's yield was quite small so I would often make a harvest plate like the one above with a tiny pile of roasted okra, sauteed squash, vinegared kale, and raw sliced carrots. The recipes were very simple and plant-focused, using olive or sesame oil, garlic, vinegar, and salt to encourage the singularity and earthiness of each vegetable.

Yours under the the greyest New York cloud,
NRG

No comments:

Post a Comment